Suitable for: those with osteoporosis or osteopaenia, who are not significantly restricted by other pre-existing conditions. If you have a high fracture risk or other general health conditions you may require individual sessions before you join a group class. Classes are divided into 3 different ability levels.
Difference to ‘standard’ Pilates classes: There is a greater emphasis on weight bearing exercises, diverse balance challenges and strength training in Bone Health and Vitality Pilates classes. In addition, there are several routine Pilates exercises that are considered unsafe for those with osteoporosis and osteopaenia, so are not performed. These exercises load the spine in flexion, which can cause spinal compression fractures (e.g. ‘crunch’ sit ups, roll ups and rollovers).
Benefits of Viva BodyStrength Bone Health and Vitality Pilates classes for osteoporosis:
- help reduce the risk of fractures resulting from falls
- ‘minimise further bone loss associated with ageing, menopause or disease
- incorporate weight bearing exercises and strength training for stronger, denser bones
- also include exercises to improve balance, flexibility, coordination and confidence
- educate participants about how to manage their condition
- provide psychological and emotional support through shared experiences and socialising